It’s time to build a better enterprise. Together.
HP Moonshot web servers are designed and tailored for specific workloads to deliver optimum performance. These low power servers share management, power, cooling, networking, and storage. This architecture is key to achieving 8x efficiency at scale*, and enabling 3x faster innovation cycle.
“With nearly 10 billion devices connected to the internet and predictions for exponential growth, we’ve reached a point where the space, power, and cost demands of traditional technology are no longer sustainable. HP Moonshot marks the beginning of a new style of IT that will change the infrastructure economics and lay the foundation for the next 20 billion devices. ”
President and CEO, HP
If the public cloud were a country, it would rank fifth in electricity consumption.
Reducing that number by even 50% would save the equivalent of the electricity consumption of the United Kingdom.
- * Based on HP internal analysis of HP Moonshot with ProLiant Moonshot Server Cartridges.
- ** Based on HP internal estimates of total cost to operate HP Moonshot with ProLiant Moonshot Server Cartridges as compared to traditional servers.
HP ProLiant Moonshot
Explore the world's first software defined server.
Hosted Desktop Infrastructure
HP ProLiant m700 Server Cartridge
The HP ProLiant m700 Server Cartridge features four AMD Opteron X2150 APUs for hosted desktop infrastructure workloads. With integrated graphics acceleration, this cartridge is the foundation of the ConvergedSystem 100 for Hosted Desktops, delivering 44% lower TCO than traditional desktops while improving security and compliance for mobile workers. *
HP ProLiant Moonshot Server Cartridge
The HP ProLiant Moonshot Server is available with the Intel® Atom™ Processor S1260. This purpose-built web server provides optimal results in a dedicated hosting environment and lets you generate greater revenue from a smaller footprint all while driving down your operational costs using low-energy server processors and direct attached disk drives. *
HP ProLiant m300 Server Cartridge
For more demanding web applications, the HP ProLiant m300 Server Cartridge leverages the increased performance per watt of the Intel® Atom™ C2750 System on a Chip (SOC). This software-defined server provides 24% lower TCO using 80% less energy, 91% less space than traditional servers for web workloads, so you can cost-effectively handle multiple simultaneous requests for web content. *
HP Moonshot 1500 Chassis
Faster innovation and unprecedented scale begins with the Moonshot 1500 Chassis. Specifically designed to support servers using mobile device chips, the 4.3U chassis shares management, networking, storage, power cords, cooling components, direct attached disk drives, and two network switches. It supports up to 45 hot-pluggable, efficient, extreme low-energy servers, each tuned to a specific workload. Starter kits available soon, along with 15-cartridge packs.
HP has brought together industry leading hardware and software partners in the HP Pathfinder Innovation Ecosystem. Find out how HP and industry leaders are accelerating innovation.
Learn more about the Pathfinder Innovation Ecosystem
HP Discovery Lab lets customers and partners experiment, test and benchmark solutions on HP's latest technologies - from anywhere in the world.
Learn more about the HP Discovery Lab
HP Moonshot System
HP software for Moonshot System
In addition to server cartridges, switch modules, and uplink modules, the HP Moonshot System can also include a wide variety of HP software. Depending on your needs, you can choose from the following HP offerings.
HP Moonshot Chassis Management module
Managing the health of the chassis and servers inside, the HP Moonshot 1500 Chassis Management module includes a command-line interface accessible via SSH to configure the chassis and server settings, as well as control server power and UID lights. In addition, the module:
- Uses Virtual Serial Port to access servers and flash firmware within the chassis
- Supports IPMI management
- Supports the SL Advanced Power Management protocol (SL-APM) to simplify hardware monitoring and management
You can find more information on SL-APM here.
HP Cloud OS for Moonshot
Based on OpenStack® — a massively scalable cloud operating system — HP Cloud OS provides the foundation for the HP Cloud common architecture across private, public, and hybrid cloud delivery. In fact, HP Cloud OS is the world’s first OpenStack®-based cloud technology platform for hybrid delivery. Today, you can leverage the open source benefits of HP Cloud OS for Moonshot with HP ProLiant Moonshot Server Cartridges and HP ProLiant m300 Server Cartridges. You can use enterprise-grade HP Cloud OS for Moonshot to:
- Simplify OpenStack® installation, management, and updates with automated live-content distribution and easier installation and configuration processes. This way, you can reduce manually intensive processes from hundreds of steps over multiple packages to a simple, automated process.
- Speed bare-metal provisioning to save significant time by using a self-service portal that automates workload deployment directly on physical nodes, rather than going through a hypervisor.
- Enhance service lifecycle management—With a model-based infrastructure topology for multi-tier workloads. Extensible administration and monitoring dashboards also allow you to automate deployment of single and multi-tier workloads in a Moonshot environment. View and control your entire Moonshot infrastructure from a single window.
HP Cloud OS for Moonshot enables rapid innovation, helping enterprises and service providers avoid lock-in, minimize complexity, and support massive scale-out cloud environments with beneficial economics of an open source architecture. As a leader and a top contributor in the OpenStack community, HP brings industry-leading innovation, expertise and best practices with HP Cloud OS technology to help you drive better business outcomes.
You can find more information on HP Cloud OS here.
HP Insight Cluster Management Utility
Based on extensive experience delivering high-performance computing (HPC) solutions, HP developed the HP Insight Cluster Management Utility (Insight CMU). This advanced solution enables cost-effective, user-friendly, error-free management of high performance clusters. Designed for managing a large number of standalone systems, HP Insight CMU is the perfect fit for HP Moonshot System. HP Insight CMU’s simple graphical interface:
- Enables an "at-a-glance" per-server view of the entire Moonshot System.
- Allows rapid provisioning of software to all nodes of a system.
- Provides frictionless scalable operating environment installation, remote management and analytics.
- Supports all Moonshot server cartridges in the chassis.
Please visit the HP Cluster management utility page to find the latest whitepaper, brochure, and flash demo.
HP Moonshot System
HP Moonshot System
HP Moonshot Concierge Support
A product as revolutionary as the HP Moonshot System requires a new kind of customer experience. Moonshot Concierge Support delivers customized services optimized for scale and low total cost of ownership. Services delivered when and where they are needed, including streamlined procurement and a new approach to the way you acquire your compute capacity, expertise delivered through HP Foundation Care, Datacenter Care, Consulting services and Proactive Care services are all designed to make the Moonshot experience your own.
Accelerate your Moonshot experience with services from HP
You've heard about HP's newest technology, Moonshot, to support your key business initiatives. Need help deciding if your workload could perform better on Moonshot? Need to define your strategy for implementing these changes? You can start by contacting TS Consulting services.
To gain the most benefit from Moonshot technology, IT transition time will need to accelerate. How do you get started? What's the roadmap and timeline? HP Technology Services is ready to help you get a successful start using Moonshot.
Technology Services support specialists can help in a variety of ways. HP technical specialists bring tested processes and experience to efficiently install your new Moonshot chassis and components:
- Onsite installation & startup service for fully installing your Moonshot hardware includes full chassis setup and configuration, power and network connectivity validation and knowledge transfer. One operating system instance will be installed.
- Basic hardware installation provides simple installation, power and network connectivity verification.
For assistance with converged systems that are built upon Moonshot technology, consider Factory Express which configures the solution at the factory and brings it to you, ready to implement onsite.
HP also offers education services training to improve operational performance and get the best return on your investment. We offer a 3-day course that provides the information and experience necessary to install, configure, and manage the HP Moonshot. The course consists of a series of labs that will be completed on Moonshot systems from the HP Virtual Labs.
- HP Foundation Care: ongoing support relationship with HP. Newly simplified service levels offer a range of coverage windows and response times to support Moonshot hardware and operating system software.
- HP Datacenter Care: flagship service level for large customer environments, offering the most customizable support solution combining proactive services.
Customize your Moonshot acquisition and IT lifecycle with flexible financing & asset management solutions from HP Financial Services.
HP Discovery Lab allows customers and partners to experiment, test and benchmark applications on the HP Moonshot System as well as on traditional servers. Discovery Labs around the world provide unfettered access - onsite and remotely - to customers and partners for precise application testing and benchmarking for just the right solution for your needs.
HP Moonshot System
HP Pathfinder Innovation Ecosystem
The HP Pathfinder Innovation Ecosystem is bringing together industry leading partners dedicated to working together to develop, deliver, and deploy internet scale solutions at an accelerated rate - up to three times faster. The Solution Builder Program brings you white papers and reference architectures of tested, stable and optimized applications. Together, we're creating a new style of computing.
What our partners are saying
HP Moonshot System
Moonshot will fundamentally change how servers are built and operated.
Don't just take it from us. Take a look at what some of our customers have to say
about HP Moonshot.
Additional case studies
See what our customers are saying
Chief Technology Officer
China Merchant Bank (APJ)
Gregory R. Simpson
Chief Technology Officer
Product Development Manager
Executive Vice President
HP Technology and Operations Organization
Manager Dedicated Hosting
Gerry McCartney, PhD
Chief Information Officer
Director of Engineering, Managed Services
Savvis, A CenturyLink Company
Erik Windahl Olsen