Get educated on HP's 'Business of Education' for Higher Ed
Success in higher education requires sustainability in a variety of areas: improving student outcomes, educational excellence to attract and retain the best faculty and strategic planning for the future. To achieve and maintain acceptable marks in these areas an institution must become proficient in what HP calls the 'Business of Education'.
We have found that many institutions are still running on a combination of legacy and new applications that are hosted on disparate proprietary networks which often cause: interoperability, visibility and security challenges. Network chaos like this makes it challenging to support contemporary learning environments such as media-rich interactive courses, distance learning, as well as essential services such as on-line administrative services and emergency notification systems.
The HP Business of Education is a cost conscience strategy that enables an institution to balance the need to offer a mobile, 24x7x365 accessible network that supports real-time, collaborative learning and back office applications, while providing all the online tools that students and faculty expect. Below are three steps of the strategy that HP has assisted Higher Education institutions in accomplishing:
- Improve ROI
- Transform the educational experience
- Support evolving campus environments through the use of rich media communications
The HP Business of Education and FlexNetwork architecture enables you to design and build best-in-class networks that align with your education initiatives and budget. The HP FlexNetwork architecture allows institutions to segment their networks into modular building blocks. FlexCampus converges wired and wireless networks to deliver media-enhanced, secure identity based access. FlexBranch converges network functionality and services, delivering an enhanced network learning experience for distance learning and satellite campuses.
Today's higher education network requirements are more complex than ever. Tech-savvy users demand the fastest and latest technologies, while new attacks continue to threaten networks. Higher-education institutions must balance these needs with limited budgets. HP networking products help institutions achieve these goals with an extensive portfolio of interoperable, standards-based solutions that deliver state-of-the-art communication and secure information sharing. Our robust, reliable and scalable solutions provide unmatched value, lower total cost of ownership and reduce administrative burdens to enable staff to focus on strategic initiatives.
The HP Intelligent Resilient Framework (IRF) technology enables flatter network designs and easier-to-manage infrastructure. Higher education institutions can create a virtual switching fabric that delivers geographic independence, distributed high availability, resiliency, and millisecond reconvergence across Layer 2 and Layer 3 protocols. With IRF-based solutions, IT teams can pool switching resources to create a lower cost, stable, fault-tolerant environment that is simpler to provision and maintain.
With HP networking solutions as a cornerstone, the HP Converged Infrastructure delivers an architectural blueprint that integrates servers, storage, and networking, eliminating technology silos and freeing up resources to focus more on business innovation.
The modern application- and service-ready HP FlexFabric networking architecture - a key element of the HP Converged Infrastructure that connects data center server and storage resources - can quickly adapt to changing business requirements, dynamically scaling capacity and provisioning connections to meet application demands “on the fly.”
The HP 5820 Switch Series are advanced switches that deliver a unique combination of unmatched 10 Gigabit Ethernet port density, high-availability architecture, and full Layer 2 and Layer 3 dual-stack IPv4 and IPv6 support along with FCoE convergence capabilities.
IMC Standard Edition provides comprehensive network management for medium to large enterprises.
IMC Enterprise Edition provides comprehensive network management and also includes Network Traffic Analyzer and a license for the Extended APIs. It can scale to meet very large enterprise networks when deployed in a hierarchical architecture.
The MSM466-R Outdoor 802.11n Access Point brings 450Mb/s per radio technology to outdoor environments for outdoor coverage, point to point and point to multipoint applications either autonomously or centrally controlled by MSM Controllers.
Is the high volume of Wi-Fi Devices penetrating your higher education networks? — Are you ready?
Today’s faculty and administrators have more technological tools at their disposal than ever to help techâ€‘savvy students - Providing faculty and students with Wi-Fi services is no longer an option but a necessity to survive in an increasingly competitive market. A bad Wi-Fi experience can adversely impact the effectiveness of the student and the educator.The BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) phenomenon is having a major impact on educational institutions and as a result you need to take a hard look at the following questions:
- How do you plan to secure the many Wi-Fi clients entering your network?
- How do you manage your wired and wireless networks?
- Do you have the bandwidth, the density and security to accommodate the onslaught of Wi-Fi clients entering your network?
Provide students and faculty with the optimum ease of network connectivity, the innovative MSM317 access device is a "multi functional" managed communication solution that provides:
- Flexible communications connectivity - ideal for student dorm rooms.
Simplify IT security and network device administration with core to edge wired/wireless user and device management by providing:
- An open and standards-based solution.
- Scalability on three dimensions—functionality, connectivity, and capacity.
- A secure environment.
- Single pane-of-glass management via the Intelligent Management Center (IMC).
- Flexible communications connectivity - ideal for student dorm rooms.
- Integrated (IDM/UAM),(Identity Driven Management/User Access Manager).
- Provides you with secure granular device management, and reliable anytime, anywhere access to applications and services.
- Policy enforcement by user type, device type, time of day access, guest access to segment specific users.
- Ultra high speed handoffs uniquely fine-tuned for uninterrupted voice and mobility services (MSM460, 466, 466-R) let staff and students roam indoors and outdoors.
- Guest access comes with every MSM7xx wireless controller that keeps your guest information private as it travels over the airwaves.
- RF Manager provides you with the ultimate 24x7 wireless security working in conjunction with dedicated RF Sensors (MSM415) providing you with wireless (IDS/IPS).
HP flexible architecture can easily be upgraded, there are no "rip and replace" requirements as all of the offerings are industry standards based.